Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Modern Day Proverbs

Benjamin Franklin probably had the book of Proverbs in mind when he added his “wit and wisdom” to Poor Richard’s Almanac.  Today these “sound bytes” of wisdom are just as well known, if not more so, than the book of the Bible they appear to mimic.  What have you heard lately that you would compile into a modern day book of Proverbs?  Here are some of my favorites (paraphrased and from various sources):

  • Stop trying to be good enough on your own power.  Don’t say, “I will try harder, I will…”  A tree doesn’t try harder to make fruit.  Be obsessed with Jesus and you will become more like him.  –Dr. Mark Brown
  • Be motivated by Love not by the Law.  Live with joy and freedom enough to make dour Christians question your salvation.  –Dr. Mark Brown
  • Who is the first person you turn to at times of trouble?  Who is your shepherd?  Who is in control of your life?
  • God can use the daily grind of life to shape us for him.
  • God is so big that to grasp Him we have to see Him in three parts.
  • I take my humanness with me where ever I go so how can I ever be at peace with things or places if I am not at peace with God?
  • Actions sometimes need to precede emotions.  We might need to go through the motions of something and eventually the feelings will follow.  If we always wait for the feelings first we might never do the right thing (i.e. forgive, show love, show respect).
  • If I focus on my children’s behavior instead of their hearts or if I “lord” over them with rules, then I teach them about power not humility.


What are some of the gems you have heard or collected over the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment

https://www.google.com/analytics/settings/?hl=en